ou signed up on paper, mailed in your entry form, wrote your number on a swim cap, and got a finish time. It was pouring on race day. The race attracted 83 individual participants. 75 of them would return for 2006. (right: Jospe in 2005)
In 2006, The Colby Triathlon gained momentum. It was picked up as a TRI-ME affiliate race and sancitoned by USAT for the first time. The race nearly doubled in size with 156 finishers, and attracted top local talent like 2nd place finisher Kurt Perham (Peak Performance/Fastsplits Multisport) and top amateur racing talent like 1st place finisher Matt Boobar, and a contingent of top collegiate teams from the brand new USAT Northeast Collegiate conference.
Come race with us in 2008. The race is held every year at Colby’s very own Hume Center on Messalonskee Lake, a property still inhabited by its donor Dr. Alan Hume, and home to Colby’s decorated Crew team. The race is traditionally held on the third Saturday in September, the weekend after TRI-ME’s Lobsterman Triathlon and two weeks into our fall semester.
Fastest Three Males Overall:
1. 2006 Matt Boobar / Fastsplits / Waterville, ME 9/4/1972 1:05:22.4
Matt Boobar (pictured above), Colby’ s own assistant coach for the 2006-07 season, is the new men’s recordholder. An accomplished triathlete, Boobar is the reigning Amateur XTERRA National Champion. 2006 was Boobar’s first year racing the Colby Triathlon, and he knocked out previous recordholder Kurt Perham by over two minutes (Perham’s old record was 1:07:54). His picture is in Park City, UT, while coaching the New England Junior Olympic Team for Nordic Skiing in 2007.
2. 2006 Stephen Judice / no affiliation / Dayton, ME 5/9/1971 1:05:56.9
3. 2006 Kurt Perham / Fastsplits/PBM Coaching / Brunswick, ME 4/16/1971 1:07:05.1
Fastest Three Female Overall:
1. 2006 Catherine Sterling / Fastsplits / Kents Hill, ME 12/5/1976 1:11:52.2
2. 2006 Mary Miller / no affiliation / Eliot, ME 8/31/1980 1:13:42.9
3. 2006 Martha Buckley / MIT Triathlon / Cambridge, MA 2/7/1983 1:16:44.4